Williams & Farmer combines the experience and capabilities of a larger firm with the individualized attention you can only receive from a smaller firm.

We work with you from day one to:

1. Clarify your desired goals;
2. Design a strategy and roadmap for achieving those goals;
3. Execute that strategy;
4. Mediate when possible; and
5. Minimize your legal expenses.

As you move toward a resolution for you and your family, we will be there with you every step of the way.

Frequently Asked Questions

Protect your family. Protect your assets. Protect your future.

Our extensive combined experience in family law

can help guide you through challenging situations:

Family Law, Divorce (contested/uncontested), or Matrimonial Law

Our role in divorce and matrimonial law is to ensure that you understand all available avenues of resolution the universe of the possible outcomes, and the risk and cost associated withpursuing each of those outcomes,  so that you can make the best decision for you and your family.

Parenting Time and Responsibility

With over 20 years experience representing children in domestic relations cases, we intricately understand the value of preserving a child’s relationship with their parents and family. Always putting the child’s best interests first, our goal is to help you develop and implement a plan that will provide the most stable situation for the child.

Asset and Property Distribution

Whether the property and assets involved are simple or complex, we are capable of helping you achieve the most favorable outcome in your case. We will help to ensure that your assets are identified and fairly apportioned so that you can build for your new future.

Child Representation and Guardian Ad Litem

Hand-picked by judges in the most difficult cases, Williams Farmer is often appointed to serve as a child representative, guardian ad litem or advocate during a divorce proceeding. While the parties cannot hire a child representative on their own, you can ask the court to appoint a certain attorney to the case. A child representative acts to investigate the situation and advise the court on the child’s best interest.


As skilled mediators, Williams & Farmer can act as a third-party neutral to help settle your divorce. Although we cannot be the attorney for either party, the goal of mediation is to reach an agreement with both parties without the expense of further litigation. Mediation can be used to resolve all matters covered by a marital settlement agreement, including property distribution, parenting time, and financial issues.

Litigation and Trial

Should litigation be necessary, Williams & Farmer has the skills to help you navigate the sometimes-volatile landscape of divorce. With over 20 years of litigation experience in both federal and family law courts, we can help you move methodically through trial and advise you as to the best direction for your particular case. We work hard at achieving your desired outcome, no matter what path your case takes.

Other areas we can help you with:

• Parentage and/or Paternity
• Removal/Relocation
• Civil Unions/Same-sex Marriage
• Hague Convention Actions
• Grandparents’ Rights and Visitation
• Juvenile Law
• Prenuptial/Postnuptial Agreements
• Legal Separation
• Civil Orders of Protection
• Domestic Violence
• Marital Property Settlement
• Enforcement of Judgments or Court Orders

Schedule a Consultation

Frequently Asked Questions

I’m getting a divorce; will I automatically have to pay maintenance (alimony)?

In Illinois, while maintenance or spousal support can be ordered by the court to help support a spouse who is not capable of maintaining the marital lifestyle, it is not automatic. Your attorney will help you review your income, cash flow, and taxes so that you are prepared to account for your assets and make a determination whether maintenance might be appropriate in your case.

How might the maintenance (alimony) amount be calculated?

Governed by Illinois statute, there are many factors that go into calculating maintenance. Although there exists a formula for determining maintenance where the obligated spouse makes less than $400,000 per year, the court still makes the final determination. Williams Farmer will help you conduct an analysis of your lifestyle, income cash flow and other factors to help you understand the possible outcomes in your particular case.

How do I know if I have to pay child support?

Both parents are obligated to provide financial support for the child/children. It is not optional, nor can a parent waive the obligation..

How do I calculate the amount of child support I will pay?

Illinois uses a child support calculator to determine the amount paid by the obligated parent. In Illinois, child support is determined based on a number of factors, including:

  • The number of children
  • The incomes of both parents
  • Cost of family health insurance paid by a parent
  • Amount of child support paid by a parent who has children from a prior marriage
  • Amount of maintenance or alimony paid by a parent to a spouse from a prior marriage.
What is a child representative? Why may a judge request my child to have representation?

A child representative may be appointed to your case by the court if the parents have a dispute with respect to parenting issues. The role of the child representative is to investigate the child’s living situation, interview the parents and child, and develop a recommendation that is delivered to the court. The child representative does consider the child’s wishes, but may ultimately recommend something else when taking into account other factors. A child representative must always work to ensure that the child’s best interests are being maintained.

What is a Marital Property Settlement?

A marital property settlement takes into account the value of all property, assets, and wealth. The purpose of such a settlement is to provide an equitable division or an equitable sharing of such property and assets.

What is an Allocation Judgement?

An allocation judgment is a child custody ruling, either through agreement or by way of a court’s order, and it sets out parental responsibilities.

Can my spouse pay for my attorney’s fees?

You can file a Petition for Interim Attorney’s Fees and Costs. It will be reviewed to determine what amount is necessary to give you an opportunity for adequate representation in the litigation. Your income and assets, as well as your spouse’s income, and assets will be considered in this decision.